Serves 5 – 6 | Ina Garten
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
- 1 cup medium-diced red boiling potatoes, unpeeled (3 small)
- 1 pound dried split green peas
- 8 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- In a stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper until the onions become translucent, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots and potatoes, 1/2 pound of split peas, and the vegetable or chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Skim the foam off the top while cooking.
- Add the remaining split peas and continue to simmer for another 40 minutes, or until the peas are soft. Stir frequently.**
View the original instructions on the Food Network website.